[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] A ramble on ofunc's and omath

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 17:33:36 -0500

   I'm more and more inclined to think that extension types (types not
   built into the language) should always be hosted and exported by an
   extension module and accessed from other modules via the import
   mechanism.  If this were the case, then any extension module that

That is certainly preferable. However, I am not sure whether it
is possible in all cases with the current implementation. Clearly
there is not much provision for C modules that depend on each other.
Your proposed CObjects solve one problem, but there may be more.

   But you now have a weird interface to the matrix module.  Assuming
   that on most systems, the matrix module will be dynamically linked
   anyway, I wouldn't worry about size.  Just let the matrix module
   import omath so that the user who doesn't need omath can still use
   matrix math without having to be aware of your implementation decision
   to use omath.

I agree. omath should be usable without matrix, but the reverse is not
so important.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)