[Matplotlib-users] Matplotlib, Qt, and borders

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 15:44:03 EDT 2019

Israel,

You probably want to use `tight_layout` or `constrained_layout` on the
embedded figure.

Setting axes position in pixels would get messy if you have more than one
Axes in the figure and you want to handle resizing.

See
https://matplotlib.org/tutorials/advanced/transforms_tutorial.html#transformations-tutorial
for
the stacked coordinate systems that Matplotlib uses.

Tom

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 1:44 PM Israel Brewster <ijbrewster at alaska.edu>
wrote:

> I’m new to matplotlib, and using it in conjunction with Qt as per
> https://matplotlib.org/gallery/user_interfaces/embedding_in_qt_sgskip.html,
> which works well. However, I’m struggling with borders, especially as the
> user resizes the window.
>
> What it looks like is that the left, right, bottom and top parameters to
> subplots_adjust are in percents - is that correct? If so, is there a way to
> change it to pixels? As things stand, when the user adjusts the size of the
> window, the “gap” between an edge of the graph and the edge of the
> container changes. More troubling is that as the window gets smaller, the
> graph labels get cut off.
>
> Ideally I’d like to be able to say “fit the entire graph (including axes
> labels) inside the parent object with x number of pixels padding on each
> side”. Of course there would be some minimum size you couldn’t effectively
> go below. Is that possible?
> ---
> Israel Brewster
> Software Engineer