[Matplotlib-users] Displaying raster colormap in a colorbar

Matthew Bradley mbatr27 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:26:35 EDT 2018

Here's a basic mockup of what I'm running into:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np; np.random.seed(1)

example_2D = np.random.rand(841,138)

example_raster = np.empty([example_2D.shape[0],example_2D.shape[1],3])
for i in range(example_2D.shape[0]):
    for j in range(example_2D.shape[1]):
        if example_2D[i,j] < 0.5:
            example_raster[i,j] = [0,example_2D[i,j],0]
        else:
            example_raster[i,j] = [example_2D[i,j],0,0]

fig, ax = plt.subplots(figsize=(4,4))

im = ax.imshow(example_raster, aspect='auto')

fig.colorbar(im, orientation="horizontal")
plt.show()

There is a ipynb file attached for anyone who wants to play around with it.

@ Bruno and Benjamin: Yes, that's essentially what I am doing. Here in this
simple example I'm just doctoring it so that I get red and green values but
in the actual dataset there are negative values that I set to be green and
all the positive values are red

--
Matthew Bradley