[Matplotlib-users] changing labeling of axes

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 8 10:10:15 EST 2017

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good way to relabel axes for a
particular case I'm dealing with. I'm making a 2D histogram, using hist2d
of course.  The thing is that for my case, where I'm plotting the density
vs. pressure for results from a hydro run, it makes more sense to use the
log of the quantities as the inputs for hist2d.  So then I need to give the
log of the density and pressure to hist2d. This works fine for making the
histogram, but then the axes are labelled with log10(n), log10(P).  I'd
prefer to have the axes labelled as for a logarithmic plot, so instead of
say 4.0, 10^4.  Is there a simple way of doing that. I'm pretty sure I can
just specify by hand the ticks and tick labels, though that's kind of a
pain. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA