[Matplotlib-users] easily accessing the default color cycle list

Michael Kaufman kaufmanmc at ornl.gov
Tue Jan 10 12:57:07 EST 2017

Hi All,

With the new color cycle, it's no longer super easy for me to manually
set plotting colors (that still conform to the new default colors)
without a cheat sheet.

Recently I've been doing:

cols = rcParams['axes.prop_cycle'].by_key()['color']

to get the list. This is something that I cannot remember and have
search through old code to find every time.

Is there an easier way to access this list? Something like:

from matplotlib.colors import color_cycle
cols = color_cycle('default')

would be quite nice. Maybe something like this already exists?