[Matplotlib-users] How is GUI startup implemented?

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 16:06:00 EDT 2017

It depends on which backend you are using.  Have a look at `pylab_setup` in
backends/__init__.py which will point you back to the underlying
backend-specific functions.

Tom

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 10:27 AM Jean CRUYPENYNCK <filaton at me.com> wrote:

Hi all!

I’m currently writing some Python/C++ library using *Boost.Python* on
macOS. When I import it, I get the “famous rocket icon“ bouncing in the
macOS Dock and I can’t understand why. I know that this icon appears on
macOS when Python detects that a program will interact with the GUI.
It’s something that happens with *matplotlib* as well, when running *from
matplotlib import pyplot* with the default backend.
I’m wondering how this behavior is implemented, *i.e. **where in the source
code does matplotlib call the GUI process when I execute the from
matplotlib import pyplot statement?* I believe that could help me solving
my problem with* Boost.Python*.

Thank you in advance for your answer,
Jean.