[Matplotlib-users] Totaly new to matplotlib

Stevo stm6386 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:07:36 EST 2016

Hi guys,
Im new to Python and matplotlib, I have a need to try and make a chart of
some kind so was just searching around and looking at Plotly but it looks so
complicated then I found the matplotlib site and was quite amazed how simple
the code was to create some really incredible looking plots.
Unfortunately none of the examples are quite what Im needing but Im guessing
that is possible to create what i need as by the look of the gallery it
would be a breeze for you experienced guys.
The data I want to plot is durations during days (its a sort of working
time/clock machine plot).... I imagine it to be a cross between the
histogram_path_demo and one of those candle stick type ones, x being the
day's time range centre of range being say lunchtime and each bar showing
the shift start and end (centred on 12 lunchtime) but allowing for the bar
to be broken when ever clocked in or out within that day.. if that makes
sense ?
Im very unsure even where to start so any pointers and advise would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Stevo