[Matplotlib-users] matplotlib at LIGO/GW observation

Duncan Macleod duncan.macleod at ligo.org
Tue Feb 16 13:54:07 EST 2016

Hi all,

I'm a member of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, and an author on the PRL
paper linked by Nils. Figure 1 did indeed use matplotlib, as did all of the
graphs in this paper (not the detector layout).

The paper is 'open-access' with a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License
attached, so I believe the figures can be freely included in other
documents as long as credits are given to the authors and the journal with
an appropriate citation. It would be very nice to see this included as an
example of using matplotlib for scientific analysis.

Thanks

On 14 February 2016 at 07:52, Nils Becker <nilsc.becker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> as the direct observation of gravitational waves made its way round the
> world a few days ago, I was pleased to see that they (very probably) used
> matplotlib for their plots. They even used the new viridis colormap [1].
> I could not confirm this directly for the plots in the paper but at least
> the data analysis stack at LIGO seems to be built partly on python. They
> provide scripts to reproduce the data analysis in python and use matplotlib
> to plot it [2].
>
> In any case, maybe it's an idea to contact LIGO to confirm this and ask
> them if we could put the figure on the website gallery as a kind of "plot
> of honor" or something? I mean there is a chance that it's going to be the
> most famous plot done in matplotlib to this date.
>
> Cheers
> Nils
>
> [1] http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102
> (page 2)