[Matplotlib-users] Totaly new to matplotlib

Benjamin Root ben.v.root at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:16:18 EST 2016

Stevo,

Don't worry, we all started from somewhere, but it is important to
understand the distinction. This has nothing to do with python, by the way.
`plt.gca()` returns the "current"/"active" axes object. Meanwhile, your
function does its plotting on an axes object called "ax". These may or may
not be the same thing -- you just simply don't know. So, your function
should continue to perform its plotting commands on the "ax" variable, not
on the result from `plt.gca()`.

Note though, it is perfectly valid what you have in the beginning of the
function what called `plt.gca()` if "ax" was not supplied by the user. But
you should continue to use "ax" throughout the function so that all actions
happen to the same variable.

I hope that makes it clearer.

Ben Root