[Matplotlib-users] Use of Pyplot in a GUI script

Eric eric.shain at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 17:28:57 EDT 2016

I've read that when writing a GUI application to avoid using pyplot. I
experienced this when I wrote a python script that called the tkinter file
dialog and then processed and plotted data. It would run when launched in
Ipython but would crash when run in the terminal. It ran in terminal when I
eliminated the file dialog and the file dialog code ran without the
plotting. I rewrote the script using pyqt4, and avoided using pyplot using
matplotlib figure instead. First question is is it true that I should avoid
any use of pyplot in a gui app? Second is that I find it hard to do things
in matplotlib that are easy in pyplot like drawing horizontal or vertical
lines and such. Is there documentation and code examples using the
matplotlib without pyplot?

Thanks, Eric