[Matplotlib-devel] Call notes 29 Jan

Antony Lee antony.lee at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 31 18:33:57 EST 2018

Screenshot just for the record: left is "out-of-the-box" vim with no
customizations (vim -u NONE + :syntax on; which already has syntax
highlighting out of the box for python blocks); right is my setup (using
vim-restructuredtext HEAD).
I agree that the very slow edit-compile cycle for sphinx is less than
optimal.  If you are just working on the rst part of a single file, you can
sort-of get away with rst2html (ships with docutils, bound to `:make` on my
vim setup), which will spew out tons of errors because it doesn't know any
sphinx constructs, but will still let you check the basic markup part.  You
can also check docstrings that way by just processing the docstring in a
separate file with rst2html.
Antony