[Matplotlib-devel] Documentation

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 13 12:34:05 EST 2018

Sorry -- way too easy to hit send on my phone....

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:12 AM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <
chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> The challenge with pyplot is the learning curve — it’s great to able to
> simply start with:
>
> plot(x, y)

and get the first plot -- like the classic:

print("hello world")

But you'll eventually run into limitations of the pyplot interface, and by
then you will have learned a lot of bad habits.

I think the challenge with the OO interface is not so much that you need to
use, say:

ax.set_title()

rather than simply

title()

But that you need to do SOMETHING to get that axis object in the first
place. And given that to make an axis object you need a figure object
first, it's just not as clean as it might be.

But I think that's a significant but small bump in the road on day one....

NOTE: is there any talk of updating the main axis interface to get away
from all the "set_*" methods? they are kind of ugly.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov