[Matplotlib-devel] Python 2.7 build failing due to Unicode characters...

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Fri Sep 8 17:11:15 EDT 2017

On 8 Sep 2017, at 11:07, Benjamin Root wrote:

> as a general rule, we have a set of __future__'s that we put at the
> top of
> every python source:
>
> ```
> from __future__ import (absolute_import, division, print_function,
>                         unicode_literals)

Thanks!

Unfortunately, that is the problem.  `kiwi`, which is written in CPP,
has a check for python version:

```
#if PY_MAJOR_VERSION >= 3
#define FROM_STRING PyUnicode_FromString
#else
#define FROM_STRING PyString_FromString
#endif
```

So it can handle Unicode, but has no way to know it *should* handle
Unicode if we are using python 2.7 and `unicode_literals`.  I’ve
opened [an issue with them,](https://github.com/nucleic/kiwi/issues/39)
though of course if someone here had expertise in this it’d be very
helpful.  Worst case scenario I can just cast every call to `str`, it
just makes the code a bit of a mess.

Thanks a lot,   Jody