[Matplotlib-devel] On testing with other FreeType versions

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Mon Dec 11 12:45:23 EST 2017

> I see a few ways to mitigate the problem, with varying advantages/disadvantages:
>
> 1. Bundle the older version in the Matplotlib package like we do with tests. I don't really believe this to be a viable option for downstream, but I'm just mentioning it to be thorough. There are already a few (minor) security issues in the one we test against.
> 2. Inject older FreeType just to run tests on the package. Again I don't like this idea. The point of running tests is to be sure that the version in a distro works *in that distro*. Testing with something a user could never install seems useless.
> 3. Re-create all our current and future test images with 2.8. While this is most future-proof, adding over 800 images is going to bloat the repo quite a bit.
> 4. Create some sort of side repo with test images for other FreeType releases. This would reduce bloat in the main repo but be somewhat more work. Thus I'd only suggest doing so for tags.
>
> I dislike the first two options as they would be repetitive across distros (unless they just stopped testing altogether), but the last two are not without work for us.

I guess something like 4 makes sense to me.  You guys have more experience than I do, but… it seems testing *most* of the repo with a fixed FreeType would be fine.  The point of most of the tests is to catch Matplotlib bugs, and the exact font being rendered doesn’t matter too much.  Then there could be a much smaller separate repo for the tests that depend on the font being rendered, and to test that downstream distributions work.

Cheers,   Jody

> Opinions? Alternative ideas?
>
> [1] https://repology.org/metapackage/freetype/versions <https://repology.org/metapackage/freetype/versions>
> [2] https://github.com/QuLogic/matplotlib/commit/cfdc835923407810bd087f60332cdc8cdcb23f05 <https://github.com/QuLogic/matplotlib/commit/cfdc835923407810bd087f60332cdc8cdcb23f05>