[Matplotlib-devel] Setting the mathtext font via the object oriented API?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 18:51:55 EDT 2016

Hi all,

This is in reference to an issue I opened today:

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/6514#issuecomment-222833315

Is there a way to tell the mathtext renderer to use the computer modern
font that used to be the default? I know I can do this via the
mathtext.fontset rcparam, but this is in the context of a library that
depends on matplotlib, so I'd prefer a way to do this without overriding
any rcparams a user has set already.

For non-mathtext text, this is easy, I just need to set the FontProperties
instance associated with the Text object. However, there doesn't seem to be
a way to do something similar for mathtext.

Thanks for your help,

Nathan