[Mailman3-dev] Suggested Features

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Mar 16 09:29:14 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 08:16, Dale Newfield wrote:

> One distinction we don't have in MM2 but that I think we need in MM3 is
> that between a subscriber and a subscription.  The point made here about
> more than "not forgetting about a subscriber" (that involves preserving
> user-level info, like password or the set of addresses they may send from)
> but is about "not forgetting about a subscription" (that involves
> preserving subscription-level info, like moderation count or delivery type
> or delivery address (so people can say "for this list, send to
> name+list at foo.bar)).  In a DB world this really just means that
> subscriptions contain "start"  and "stop" dates, but not a uniqueness
> constraint on user.  This allows subscriptions to be ended but not removed
> from the DB.  It also allows for more after-the-fact auditing.

This is a good point, thanks for bringing it up.  Especially since we're
now going to have a single sign-on per domain, I think once a person has
registered with the site, we never forget about them. (Well, there may
be an admin or cli way to totally zap an account, backend db willing).

I'm looking forward to fleshing out the data model next week!

-Barry