[Mailman3-dev] Flexible data storage

Dale Newfield Dale at Newfield.org
Mon Mar 15 14:14:29 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Kevin McCann wrote:
> - list config
> - member information
> - message archives

A mailing list package is a tool for distributing messages.  It is the
pipeline through which messages pass.  As such it should be described by
the pipeline, not by the items passing through it.  While I agree two of
the most basic concepts in the system are lists and subscribers, I am
completely unconvinced that this system should contain the messages
passing through it once the tool has done it's job.  This is not a message
repository--if it is, then what you want is usenet, or yahoo groups, or
some other tool.  You are welcome to build a new yahoo groups, and I will
be glad to shape the mailman design in such a way that it can be a useful
tool to help you do just that.  I don't, however, want mailman to *be*
that tool.  I want it to do well that which it does, and in a highly
configurable manner so it can be utilized in *many* larger systems.

---
Dale Newfield <Dale at Newfield.org>

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, on the Statue of Liberty