[Mailman3-dev] SQLite

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Aug 27 16:34:41 CEST 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:19:24 +0100
Ian Eiloart <iane at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
> --On Thursday, August 26, 2004 4:33 pm -0400 Kevin McCann
> <kmccann at bellanet.org> wrote:

> To me, that looks like a pretty poor locking model...

Without disagreeing in the slightest I'd like to make a small point:

  Moving to a unified DB model for Mailman would be a large step forward
  no matter the distribution/locking problems.  In fact the distribution
  problems would be no worse than they are now, but we'd have the added
  benefit of a unified DB.

Sure, it would be better to have a better distribution/locking solution,
but let's not fall back on getting a unified DB just because it doesn't
fix other problems.

> Something like pgSQL...

Is a very large addition to the dependency graph and if required by a
base install would effectively remove Mailman from consideration for
most smaller sites, managed service providers etc.  MySQL would do a bit
better (and MySQL can be ACID these days), but remains a huge addition
to the dependency graph.  Ditto LDAP.  They're great features to support
as _plugins_.

> I reckon that an ideal installation process should ASK whether there
> is an existing database server, and if not, should offer to use SQLite
> after warning that performance problems will occur in high traffic
> sites. If a database server does exist which can be used, then the
> install process should (ideally) help with creating the necessary
> tables.

+1

--
J C Lawrence