[Mailman-Users] Subscriber password override?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 2 20:10:09 EDT 2019

On 11/2/19 4:30 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> I have signed a neighbor up to a mailing list I administer. She's
> borderline computer literate and hates passwords, so I said I'd assign
> her a simple password. It seems that Mailman 2 doesn't allow the list
> administrator to assign passwords and I get "Error: The list
> administrator may not change the password for a user" when I try.

That's correct.

> Is there any way to override this? There should be, since passwords are
> as much for protection of the integrity of a list's subscriber base as
> they are for protection of a subscriber - and this is rightfully a
> concern of the list admin, as is helping subscribers who need some hand
> holding.

A list admin can't override it except by logging in to the user's
options page as the user with the user's current password which the
admin may not know.

A site admin can find the users password via bin/dumpdb of the lists
config.pck or can find the password and change it via bin/withlist.

Assuming you are not a site admin, you can ask her to forward the list
welcome message she received with her current password, or as a list
admin, you can remove her from the list, then subscribe her from the
listinfo page with the desired password, and tell her to follow the link
in the confirmation request email she receives.