[Mailman-Users] Migrating Mailman to New Server (Same Domain)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 11 10:59:40 EDT 2018

On 6/11/18 4:36 AM, Jeffrey Rolland wrote:
> I tried using your script. The tar_list.sh script works fine. But, for the
> untar_list.sh script, I had two fairly big problems.

Where did you find these scripts? They are not distributed by the GNU
mailman project.

> 1) the mailman user account did not have a home director or shell; I fixed
> those problems handily.

If your new server has a Debian/Ubuntu Mailman package, the Mailman user
is 'list', not 'mailman'.

> 2) I got a ton of permission/owner errors trying to untar the archives. The
> private archives on the new server appeared to have been owned by root,
> while the public archives appeared to be owned by www.-data; neither
> untar-ed well with the script being owned by mailman.

The best way to move archives is to just move the
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox file from the old
server to the new and then run Mailman's

bin/arch --wipe <listname>

on the new server. See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030624>.