[Mailman-Users] bounce disabled warning interval settings

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 1 21:11:14 EDT 2016

On 6/1/16 10:44 AM, Daryl.Weir at lis.state.oh.us wrote:

> We have a one-way announcement list. A single message is posted once
> a week every week. We never want to unsubscribe anyone - just disable
> their subscription. We never want Mailman sending a subscriber the
> automated message that starts with "Your membership in the mailing
> list XYZ has been disabled due to excessive bounces..."

If you don't want to make source changes, the best you can do here is
change the body of that message by creating an edited version of the
disabled.txt template per <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030605> (will be
editable throught the web admin GUI as of 2.1.23), but the message will
be sent when delivery is disabled by bounce processing.

If you don't want a message at all, you have to edit the
endNextNotification method in Mailman/Bouncer.py to not send it.

> When the  bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings option was set at 2000 and
> the bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval option was set at 30,
> Mailman sent out the automated message.
>
> The bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval has been increased to
> 2000.
>
> Obviously there is no way to simulate this to see if the desired
> result (no automated message) is achieved.
>
> Thoughts on this are most appreciated.

If you want this strategy for all lists, the easiest thing is to remove
cron/disabled from Mailman's crontab.

If this is just for 1 list of many, you could edit cron/disabled to skip
that list or as you have tried, just set
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval and maybe
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings to very large numbers. The caveat here
is when a user's delivery is disabled by bounce, the number of remaining
warnings is set at that time and subsequent changes to
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings don't affect that user.

I don't know where the "bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval has
been increased" message came from. I don't think standard GNU Mailman
sends such a message. That said, setting
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval to a huge number should work.

Another approach would be to write a script that looks at those members
of a list whose delivery is disabled BYBOUNCE and change the status to
disabled BYUSER, BYADMIN OR UNKNOWN as you wish and run that
periodically via cron for this list.