[Mailman-Users] Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 11 11:26:15 EST 2016

On 02/11/2016 06:52 AM, walter at ifkuk.org wrote:

> my test at lists.ifkuk.org still works fine, so i made a second test list,
> called walter at lists.ifkuk.org, and also there "Recipient address
> rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table"
>
> But test at lists.ifkuk.org and mailman at lists.ifkuk.org still working fine.
> all are created the same way, by using the webfrontend (but the initial
> mailman at lists.).
> Feb 11 14:43:00 ifkuk postfix/smtpd[28581]: maps_find:
> relay_recipient_maps: @lists.ifkuk.org: not found
> Feb 11 14:43:00 ifkuk postfix/smtpd[28581]: mail_addr_find:
> walter at lists.ifkuk.org -> (not found)

This may be a problem. See below:

> this is my aliases, where test works and walter and bitep dont!

Looks good.

> my transport-mailman:
>   GNU nano 2.2.6                         File:
> aliases

??? This is a copy of aliases. Is this really the content of
transport-mailman?

> # The ultimate loop stopper address
> mailman-loop: /var/lib/mailman/data/owner-bounces.mbox
>
> # STANZA START: mailman
> # CREATED: Thu Feb 11 12:52:22 2016
> mailman:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"

Above entries should look like

mailman-loop at lists.ifkuk.org            local:

mailman at lists.ifkuk.org                 local:

and similarly for the others. Also there should be a
transport-mailman.db with a time stamp >= transport-mailman's.

> my virtual-mailman
>
>   GNU nano 2.2.6                         File:
> aliases

Again, this is a copy of aliases. Is this really the content of
virtual-mailman?

> # The ultimate loop stopper address
> mailman-loop: /var/lib/mailman/data/owner-bounces.mbox
>
> # STANZA START: mailman
> # CREATED: Thu Feb 11 12:52:22 2016
> mailman:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"

Above entries should look like

mailman-loop at lists.ifkuk.org     mailman-loop

mailman at lists.ifkuk.org          mailman

and similarly for the others.

If your virtual-mailman and transport-mailman(.db) are actually OK, I
think the problem is you have

relay_recipient_maps = hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

in Postfix main.cf. Since you changed to using the transport-maps
method, virtual-mailman.db is no longer being updated and only contains
entries for the first two lists. The fix is to change the above to

relay_recipient_maps = hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/transport-mailman

I have updated step 9 in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/10715238> to
note this.