[Mailman-Users] Some pages are only partially translated - most still show part of page in English

Michael Lake Mike.Lake at uts.edu.au
Thu Jun 4 04:03:28 CEST 2015

Hi

On 06/04/2015 06:16 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 03:26 AM, Michael Lake wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Thanks Mark for your reply. I realise its all done by volunteers. Sorry I can't help on translations as I only know English, C, Fortran etc :-)
>> Im confused though as according to the link below many languages are fully translated. But if I select what ever language its always the same section that remains untranslated e.g.  I get "You may enter a privacy password below. etc ... " in English. Surely that phrase has been translated. If I pick Japanese which has been nearly fully translated I still get in the Subscribing section most of the text in English. Just the button label is translated.
>> https://translations.launchpad.net/mailman/2.1/+pots/mailman
>

> First of all, the page you refer to was part of a project that was
> started by a woman who subsequently had health issues and ultimately
> died. What is there is based on message catalogs imported from Mailman
> at some point and probably never updated since. There have been many
> Mailman updates since then that affect translations, and some
> translations have been partially or completely updated since following
> guidelines/procedures at <http://wiki.list.org/DEV/i18nhowto>. None of
> this is reflected at the translations.launchpad.net site.
Thanks, now I understand.

> Furthermore, the phrase "You may enter a privacy password below. etc ...
> " is not in a string in the message catalog. It is in the listinfo.html
> template. Every one of the 38 partially or fully supported translations
> contains this translated template and none of them appear to contain
> that phrase in English.
>
> I suspect the issue in your case is that the templates for the various
> translations are not installed on your server, so Mailman falls back to
> the English template (the button labels are dynamic and do come from the
> message catalog, but the bulk of the page comes from the template).
>
> Does your Mailman installation have 39 'lc' subdirectories in (I think
> in Debian) /usr/lib/mailman/templates/ or does it just have
> /usr/lib/mailman/templates/en/.
Just en under /var/lib/mailman/templates/
No lc dirs.

> Also, how about /usr/lib/mailman/messages/ (there normally is not an
> 'en' here)?
Lots of language directories from ar to zh under /var/lib/mailman/messages/
No en directory.

> If I'm not mistaken, the Debian Mailman install process requires you to
> specify the languages you want to support at install time. Try
> dpkg-reconfigure mailman
Just did that and I selected all the langs that I wanted to support and
it installed an additional few dozen languages. I had misunderstood that
that initial setting was the languages you wanted *supported*  and the
next question after that is the default language that you required.

Now selecting other languages show the whole page (except for the list
description of course) fully translated :-)

So doing the "dpkg-reconfigure mailman" solved my problem.
Very much appreciated. Now the overseas users won't have to read
Australian all the time :-)

Thanks for your help Mark

Mike
--
Michael Lake

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.