[Mailman-Users] Migration Problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 11 07:06:11 CET 2015

On 01/08/2015 04:35 PM, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> I do have the patch files, but I question if they are directly
> compatible with this version so I haven't tried that yet.

Usually when applying patches from a prior version, there are at most
only minor line number offsets. Occasionally there are more serious
conflicts that have to be resolved by hand, but this is normally not
difficult if you understand what the patch is doing.

The only way to know is to apply the patches and see the results. if the
patch command doesn't complain, that patch is good. if it complains only
about line # offsets, it's almost certainly still good, and you can diff
the .orig file the patch command makes with the new file to get a new
patch with correct line numbers. If it complains about failed hunks, you
have to manually examine the .rej file to see the problems and figure
out how to fix them. Often the changed code is good, but the patch fails
because one of the adjacent lines changed.