[Mailman-Users] Bogus/forged subscription attempts: request for comments and possibly data

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Jun 10 15:00:40 CEST 2014

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:48:49 +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Perry E. Metzger writes:
>
>  > BTW, I don't quite understand this. Why would splatting random
>  > addresses at you help them? Why not just pick real addresses they
>  > control? Successfully subscribing is easy, and generating
>  > seemingly random addresses won't get them subscribed since the
>  > addresses will never get a confirmation round trip.
>
> Spammers are generally greedy but not bright?

Spammers do this work full time to feed themselves. Just as you get
up in the morning and go to your office, they get up every morning
and figure out their next step to keep the money coming in -- their
families depend on it.

They rarely do anything that doesn't work -- if they do, they end up
without any money coming in with which to support themselves. There
have been significant academic studies of the market, and they
indicate that your portrayal isn't accurate.

I would presume that if you don't understand what they're doing, it
isn't because it is completely irrational, but rather because you
don't get exactly what they're attempting.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com