[Mailman-Users] Is there a way to post "silently" to a mailing list?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 6 00:23:19 CET 2014

On 12/05/2014 02:45 PM, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> It sounds like there’s no built in way so I’ll probably just modify the source so that a message to BCC results in a silent post. I’d be interested to hear if anyone thinks that approach is likely to cause problems.

An alternative way would be to create a new address
LISTNAME-archive at hostname which would just queue the message in the in
queue with an abbreviated pipeline consisting perhaps of just Moderate
(to ensure the sender is authorized to post) and ToArchive.

You would need to create scripts/archive which could be a copy of
scripts/owner with a few occurrences of 'owner' changed to 'archive' and
the final enqueue changed to something like:

    inq.enqueue(sys.stdin.read(),
                listname=listname,
                _plaintext=1,
                pipeline=['Moderate', 'ToArchive'],
                toarchive=1)

The toarchive=1 in the metadata is meaningless, but it would allow
different treatment in any handler in the pipeline.

You would also need to modify and recompile src/mail-wrapper.c to add
"archive" to the valid commands and add the LISTNAME-archive alias(es)
or whatever to the MTA (you could modify Mailman/MTA/Manual.py and/or
Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py to generate these).