[Mailman-Users] Disable all restrictions on posting

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 4 06:43:19 CEST 2013

On 09/02/2013 10:50 PM, Sriram Karra wrote:
> I have installed mailman only for my company use. I would like to remove
> all posting restrictions if the incoming email is coming from our mail
> server. Is there an easy way of doing this for all lists?

There are a couple of ways to do this. The obvious way is to put

^.*[@.]your\.company\.domain$

in Privacy options... -> Sender filters -> accept_these_nonmembers for
all lists. The script at <http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/non_members>
can do this easily.

The problem with this approach is it will check the address in the From:
or Sender: header of the post and these are easily spoofed.

A better way would be a custom handler (see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9>) that looks at the Received: headers of
the incoming post to determine the server that sent to the Mailman host,
and if this is your mail server, set
        msgdata['approved'] = 1
and
        msgdata['adminapproved'] = 1

This too has an issue because the handler must come before Moderate in
the pipeline which also puts it before Hold and will thus bypass all the
miscellaneous holds for posts from your mail server. This may or may not
be significant for you, but you did say "remove all posting
restrictions" so that may be what you want.

And before anyone asks, you can't use Privacy options...-> Spam filters
-> header_filter_rules for this because a rule action of Accept doesn't
mean 'accept this message'. It only means 'this message passes
header_filter_rules, do not consider any following header_filter_rules
that might have a different action'.