[Mailman-Users] 403 error after prune_arch

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 14 01:13:29 CEST 2013

On 05/13/2013 10:07 AM, Jan Krohn wrote:

> I'm still new to permissions, ownership etc. but I have a problem.

Which is almost certainly permissions related. What does your web server
error log say?

> I installed and executed prune_arch
>
> http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~msapiro/scripts/prune_arch
>

> Is this the up to date version?

If you got it any time after Sept 27, 2012, yes it is.

> However, after execution, I'm getting a 403 error on the archive pages.
>

> I've already checked ownership of the public folders, and confirmed it's
> mailman:mailman as it should be (this was a problem before from migrated
> lists).

archives/public should contain only symlinks to corresponding things in
archives/private.

Have you tried running bin/check_perms?

Note that archives/private MUST be o+x or owned by the web server user.

Note that bin/prune_arch only creates a new
archives/private/LIST.mbox/LIST.mbox file and invokes bin/arch to
rebuild the HTML archive, but archives/private should be group mailman
and SETGID so everything should be created with group mailman, and be
world readable.