[Mailman-Users] mailman group errors after updating postfix

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Sat Aug 3 19:02:03 CEST 2013

In case this is useful to anyone else:

=== What I was going to post ===
After updating postfix to 2.10, mailman (which has datestamps on the binaries of Apr 2010) is failing. The log message in maillot is the dreaded:

Aug  3 10:38:33 mail Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=nobody

Since Mailman hasn't changed and has worked through 2.6 and 2.8, I suspect there is some configuration that has changed in postfix. Is this something I can fix in recompiling postfix (best), or do I have to recompile mailman (don't want to)?

I found the solution before posting. I went into the data directory for mailman and changed the owner on the aliases and aliases.db to "mailman" and everything works fine. I could also have simply run

bin/check_perms -f

(most of the info I found on the error was about recompiling mailman to fix this error, which is why I'm sending this along). This is almost certainly the solution to the problem I had in Jan 2010 in mailman-user, for anyone playing along at home.)

--
"640K ought to be enough RAM for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981