[Mailman-Users] Messages not arriving - deep into filtering and delivery

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 3 21:16:49 CEST 2013

On 4/2/2013 2:22 PM, Drew Tenenholz wrote:

> How is the unique message ID for an outbound message created?  I'm
> seeing a differences in the domain label attached to outgoing
> messages, and I wonder if this is preventing mail from arriving to a
> particular (and maybe other) users.

Aside: If you'd post from your subscribed address, you'd avoid
moderation delay and possible rejection of your post.

In list posts, unless the list is anonymous, the Message-ID: is the
Message-ID of the incoming message. Mailman's internally generated
messages and anonymized posts have a Message-ID of the form

where sssss is a sequence #
      ttttt is a time returned by Python's time.time()
      ppppp is the PID of the generating process

> One of my users is having trouble receiving mail from a couple of
> lists.

[...]
> while messages that DID NOT ARRIVE all sort of look like this:
>
> Mar 30 04:00:35 promedmail postfix/cleanup[18138]: ACCE0758034:
> message-id=<201303300400.r2U402Tx030401 at healthmap.chip.org> Mar 30
> 04:00:35 promedmail postfix/qmgr[4400]: ACCE0758034:
> from=<promed-daily-update-bounces at promedmail.org>, size=9316,
> nrcpt=500 (queue active) ... Mar 30 04:00:36 promedmail
> postfix/smtp[18143]: ACCE0758034: to=<pollackmp at mindspring.com>,
> relay=tummms.chboston.org[134.174.12.42]:25, conn_use=8, delay=2.1,
> delays=1.1/0.46/0/0.55, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0
> 1b42w6x590-8 Message accepted for delivery)
>

> OK, if you've gotten this far, you'll see that the message-id ends in
> either mx.google.com or gmail.com (which are popular and common, and
> go through) and failing messages end in my specialized domain
> healthmap.chip.org.  Is this the sort of thing that causes a problem
> with delivery?  Are we maybe missing some sort of PTR records in the
> DNS?  That is fixable, but I don't understand why some messages get
> the 'special' domain and others do not.

I note that all this mail is routed through tummms.chboston.org. What do
the MTA logs on that server show?

Note that the <201303300400.r2U402Tx030401 at healthmap.chip.org> message
id is not a Mailman generated message id. It was either generated by the
process that originated the mail or it was added by healthmap.chip.org
because the message passed through that MTA without a Message-ID:.