[Mailman-Users] A simple unsubscribe

William Yardley mailman at veggiechinese.net
Sat Jul 28 18:38:06 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 06:39:06PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:51:51 -0400 "Brian Canty" <bcanty at apsa.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello - I was wondering if anyone has a way to provide subscribers a
> > simple and easy way to unsubscribe from a mailing list.  I do not

> What's wrong with the current challenge and response method?  Stops
> people from maliciously (un)subscribing others.

Even if it's not primarily intended for that purpose, Mailman is used
extensively as (and can be configured as) an announcement list, vs. a
traditional discussion list. In that context (where none of the members
can post, or learn the email address of other members, and therefore
won't accidentally post their unsub link to the list), it makes sense to
have a one-click unsubscribe. While you might "maliciously" try to
unsubscribe someone you don't like on a discussion list, there are good
policy or legal reasons in certain cases to make *subscription*
difficult, and *unsubscription* easy.

[Yes, I understand that it's possible to do this already; just
responding to the "why" of your question]

While I don't use Mailman for this purpose, I do think that it would be
great if the new version had a way to unsubscribe users via some kind of
goop, rather than via their password.