[Mailman-Users] Installed, now stumped

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Sep 4 16:59:53 CEST 2011

On 9/3/2011 2:58 PM, Michael Cooley wrote:
> I'd understand if mailman cannot be run from a user account. Hostmonster
> does provide it, but does not allow shell access to the archive. I need
> that for back-up purposes and to integrate my old archive with the
> new--and just because I'd expect that kind of access.

Hostmonster may be willing to seed your new archive with your old
archive if you can provide a *nix mbox format file containing the archive.

You can access your list's archive mbox file by first logging in to the
archive with a URL like
<http://www.example.com/mailman/private/LISTNAME> or however that looks
for hostmonster and then retrieving
<http://www.example.com/mailman/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox>.
You use the 'private' archive URL for this even if the archive is public.

Another way to provide backup is to subscribe an address to the list and
just backup the mail received at that address or, if your archive is
public, use one or more services like <http://www.mail-archive.com>.

> How do I do this?
>
> * Find a way to run mailman as a machine user?

You can't. You have to be an admin of the machine or a VPS in order to
install and run a fully functioning Mailman.

> * Find instructions to give to Hostmonster to allow archive permissions?

They won't because this would allow access to all the archives for all
their customer's lists.

> * Find another provider?

See <http://wiki.list.org/display/COM/Mailman+hosting+services> for
suggestions.

> * Find another list server that will give me direct access?

No Mailman host that hosts more than one customer's lists will give you
this access because it's global.