[Mailman-Users] Subscribers accessing private list archives

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 20 06:24:03 CEST 2011

On 8/19/11 6:41 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

> Perhaps you could create a dummy subscription that you give people the
> information for. That way you could give people the password for that
> subscription. Just need to watch to make sure no one plays with its
> settings.

And the email address, but this is a much better idea than giving
everyone the same "generic" password which I suggested but advised
against in my reply at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2011-August/072108.html>.

> Also, they are still able to unsubscribe themselves, as they can get an
> unsubscription message sent to their email and then use it to confirm
> the unsubscription.

But as I implied at least in the reply referenced above, if you set the
list's unsubscribe_policy to Yes, even a users confirmed unsubscribe is
not effective until approved by an admin/moderator so this can be used
to prevent users from unsubscribing, but you can't prevent a user from
getting an on-demand password reminder and logging in to her options
page and setting "no mail".

San Francisco Bay Area, California    Better use your sense - B. Dylan