[Mailman-Users] Permission Denied errors

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 4 21:53:34 CET 2010

Beyer, Clay

>IOErro: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>'/var/lib/mailman/locks/gate_news.lock.NKADDWEB.4363.0'

Presumably this is from the emailed output of cron/gate_news which runs
every 5 minutes and mails you this message.

Was there a traceback. It would say exactly what was being attempted
that there was not permission for.

The problem is the user the cron runs as does not have permission to
create the file or create a hard link to it.

This could be permissions or SELinux or some other security policy
manager.

>Some additional info...
>
>/var/lib/mailman/locks is a symlink to /var/lock/mailman which has
>uid:gid of root:lists

and are the permissions on /var/lock/mailman drwxrwsr-w check_perms may
have trouble because it gets confused by symlinks, but presumably
they're OK or Mailman would be completely broken.

So I'm guessing it's the cron user or a security policy manager.