[Mailman-Users] Delivery to SMTP server very slow

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Feb 20 22:27:45 CET 2010

On 2/20/2010 12:56 PM, Stefan Foerster wrote:

> I fear I've got a decision to make here: To "fix" that problem, I'd
> normally simply export the recipient list and recreate the mailing
> list thereafter. But since we don't know what causes this behaviour, I
> can't be sure that my backups include all files I need to recreate
> that problem on a different machine for debugging purposes.

Assuming your list doesn't use any custom MemberAdaptor, the
lists/LISTNAME/config.pck file is the only list specific thing that
could be involved. These get continuously updated, bet since the problem
is persistent, any one since the problem started should do.

OF course, if you just drop this config.pck into some other Mailman
installation for testing, there's no guarantee you'd see the problem. At
a minimum, you'd want the same Mailman version and Python version. I
think you said you'd tried a different Postfix and it didn't change things.

> So, if you are personally interested in this, I would talk to a lawyer
> to find a way how I can legally provide you with a copy of every file
> that is in any way related to this list.

As I said, I think it would just be the config.pck. Everything else is
open source software, but I don't think I want it. It's not that I'm not
curious because I definitely am, but I don't want to accidentally send
mail to any of the list members. I suppose I could just create a pseudo
MTA to listen on the SMTPPORT you use and just respond with 250 to every
message.

Actually, you could try that too and see what it does with your list.
I'll make a little Python script for that.