[Mailman-Users] The Dreaded Group Mismatch Error

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Apr 26 18:47:40 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 11:20 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
> $ export MM_USERNAME=nobody
>  $ export MM_GROUPNAME=nobody
>  $ export MM_USERID=65534
>  $ make install

If you're truly building "by hand" you're missing an essential step
here, maybe two.

Assuming you're cd'd to your build directory,

make clean
./configure  ...  --with-mail-gid=nobody ... etc.
make; make install

I'm not entirely sure of the difference between the --with-groupname and
--with-group-gid, both of which accept a name but have different
functions.  I do know that for my server distribution (gentoo Linux)
it's essential that the environment setting which controls the
--with-mail-gid configuration setting match the mail group which the MTA
runs as.

I've run into this problem often when I've upgraded Mailman and if I
forget to make this adjustment I get exactly the same error, and the fix
is the same every time.  In my case my MTA runs as group "mail" and
Mailman has to be configured thusly.

--
Lindsay Haisley       |  "Humor will get you through times of no humor
FMP Computer Services |      better than no humor will get you through