[Mailman-Users] Mandriva Upgrade Woes (as Usual)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 26 02:30:30 CET 2009

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>Well, as usual, my upgrade of Mandriva to v 2010.0 has broken Mailman. I
>once again humbly request help. Here is the traceback from 'mailmanctl
>start':
>
>/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py:32: DeprecationWarning: the sha module
>is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
>  import sha

The above deprecation warning is from a pre 2.1.12 Mailman with Python
2.6. The above is not fatal, but there are other incompatibilities
that are. Python 2.6 is not supported by Mailman older than 2.1.12.

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/sbin/mailmanctl", line 110, in <module>
>    from Mailman.MailList import MailList
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 51, in <module>
>    from Mailman.Archiver import Archiver
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/__init__.py", line 17, in <modu=
>le>
>    from Archiver import *
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 32, in <modu=
>le>
>    from Mailman import Mailbox
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Mailbox.py", line 21, in <module>
>    import mailbox
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/mailbox.py", line 19, in <module>
>    import email.message
>ImportError: No module named message

This is one of them. Since your Mailman is pre 2.1.12, you have a
Python email package in Mailman's pythonlib/email, but it is not
compatible with Python 2.6.

Removing Mailman's pythonlib/email directory may get you a bit further,
but you will still have issues.

Upgrade Mailman to 2.1.12.