[Mailman-Users] bug error when subscribing through web after Mailman 2.1.12 upgrade

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 23 19:00:50 CEST 2009

Christopher Adams wrote:

>That aside, the question still stands. Why are these fixes needed to
>force the templates to display as it seems they should be default?
>What about a list adminstrator who doesn't have full run of the system
>to make these fixes? An administrator who does have full run would
>have to know some python and understand the way Mailman works on the
>backend. I guess that is the hope for an adminstrator, isn't it?

The way current mailman works, you can't just arbitrarily add
replacements to templates. Each template is processed with a
dictionary of replacements that is specific to that template. The fact
that you see some substitution in template-A does not mean you can use
the same substitution in template-B because the dictionary for
template-B probably doesn't include it.

That said, one thing on my to-do list for Mailman 2.2 is to have a
global set of replacements that can be used in all templates, but that
does not currently exist.