[Mailman-Users] Warnings from senddigests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 4 01:48:40 CET 2009

Jesper Dybdal wrote:

>I think you've diagnosed the problem.  There is a pythonlib directory,
>but it is empty.
>
>I built Mailman as user "root" (knowing perfectly well that this is not
>the thing to do unless you choose to trust your software providers), but
>I ran "make install" as user "mailman" in order to ensure that the
>resulting files would have the correct owner.

This is backwards from the normal installation. It doesn't matter what
user does the configure (and make if you did both make and make
install), but normally, make install is run as root. Root ends up
owning most everything this way, but that doesn't matter as all the
directories are SETGID and everything ends up in the 'mailman' group
which is what counts.

>I'll have a further look at the install procedure, but if you have any
>idea how it could have failed, I'd really like to hear about it.

Try to cd to the misc/ subdirectory of the directory that you unpacked
and configured in and run

make install-packages

in that directory. Note that depending on your exact C compiler, it is
possible to get thousands of warnings similar to

src/_koco_uhc.h:3007: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ
in signedness.

These are harmless, but for this reason, it is a good idea to do
something like

make install-packages 2>make.error.log

so you can sift through the error output and find any errors that might
otherwise be lost amongst those warnings.