[Mailman-Users] Spam to list-owner

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Fri Dec 19 17:37:50 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 02:03 -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
> on 12/18/08 6:15 PM, Marvin Humphrey said:
>
> > I run a couple software support mailing lists on a site that's been around for
> > a decade or so.  I'm the only admin, and an avalanche of spam crashes down on
> > me every day.
>
> Welcome to the club.

It's possible to use SpamAssassin with Mailman to cut down on the spam
making it through the list to you.  See James Henstridge's solution at
<http://www.jamesh.id.au/articles/mailman-spamassassin/> for one method
of doing this.  Please note, though, that Henstridge's SpamAssassin.py
is out of date and requires a small patch to work with current versions
of Mailman.  Mark Sapiro posted the one-line patch on Dec. 16 to this
list in the thread with a subject of "Anomalies since upgrading to
2.1.11".  See the list archive.  I use SpamAssassin in this way and cut
down substantially on the volume of spam reaching list moderators.

I note that Brad doesn't mention this solution in his reply to you, so
it may be frowned upon officially, but I've found it helpful.

--
Lindsay Haisley       |"Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |   creativity is like   |      available at