[Mailman-Users] Need capability of link to archived messages

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Apr 16 23:19:50 CEST 2008

Darren G Pifer wrote:

> We have a list that we use for keeping backup logs and sometimes these
> logs get rather large.  The list is moderated and sometimes the size of
> the message goes beyond the "Maximum length in KB of message body" which
> requires approval. The owner of the list wanted to know, as I do, is it
> possible to get the e-mail of the message but the message contain an
> embedded URL to the stored archive instead an e-mail message with the
> log?

If you set "scrub_nondigest" to "yes", then the messages that are sent out
will have the same attachment scrubbing mechanism applied to them as is done
for digests.  However, most systems I know of that send out stuff by e-mail
don't structure the message with proper MIME formatting (or old-style
uuencode-ing, for that matter) and therefore what you get is the body of the
message is too large but there is no "attachment".

Sure, you can store these large messages in your archive, and you can link
to them if you want.  But there's not really anything that Mailman can help
you do to them unless they're properly formatted on input.

>    I am not sure but it sounds to me like some sort of webmail app to
> me is needed.  Is this capability in Mailman or has someone modified
> Mailman to include this sort of functionality?

Mailman does not include a webmail application, although you could certainly
install one.  See FAQ 1.26 at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.026.htp>.