[Mailman-Users] Mac OS X Leopard upgrade experience

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Tue Oct 30 14:53:45 CET 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Larry Stone wrote:

> 5) Startup is intermittently(?) failing due to what seems to be a Leopard,
> not mailman, issue. I'm not at all sure what that "Stray process" message
> means and have not turned up anything useful in a web search.
>
> Oct 29 07:36:46 Leoptest mailman[56]: Starting Mailman's master qrunner.
> Oct 29 07:36:46 Leoptest com.apple.launchd[1] (mailman[56]): Stray process
> with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 83 PPID 1 Python
>
> Nothing appears in the mailman logs but unless I'm mistaken, the "Starting
> Mailman's ..." message comes from mailmanctl so mailmanctl is launching
> but then dying with that "Stray process" error.
>
> The Leopard provided version of Python 2.5.1 and I have mailman 2.1.9.

Update: this was perhaps a result of a mistake I made it creating the
clone. I failed to notice that the clone volume had OS X's "Ignore
ownership on this volume" attribute set meaning I ended up as the owner of
every file on it. I re-cloned last night and went through the entire
process again and once finished, have rebooted twice without encountering
this "stray process" message.

-- Larry Stone
   lstone19 at stonejongleux.com