[Mailman-Users] email notifications verbosity [was: Stop all -owner mail]

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 16 19:17:19 CET 2007

Gadi Evron wrote:

>What would really help me is some verbosity, such as difference in
>subject lines between administrative notes and spam sent to -bounces.

The spam is forwarded to you as an unrecognized bounce, i.e. a message
that was sent to listname-bounces and which we do not recognize as
some kind of delivery status notification. This implies that since we
can't recognize it as a DSN, we can't determine whether it is a DSN or
spam. The best we could do I think is append the original message
subject to the "Unrecognized bounce" subject, e.g.

Subject: Unrecognized bounce - Unable to deliver your message
Subject: Unrecognized bounce - Rolex for sale cheap

>Also, if a user gets unsubscribed, did they do it? Were they bouncing?
>
>How, if possible, do I set that?

These are legitimate feature requests. You can add this to the tracker
at <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=350103>, but the
best way to get any feature into the base Mailman code is to implement
it yourself following Mailman and Python coding standards and submit
it as a patch. If you are interested in this, see
<http://www.list.org/devs.html> and
<http://barry.warsaw.us/software/STYLEGUIDE.txt> as starting points.