[Mailman-Users] Python modules missing

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 20 18:40:12 CEST 2007

Christopher Glanville wrote:

>I have been running mailman on Fedora core 4 for some time but then it
>stopped.
>Now when I try and run:
>/etc/init.d/mailman start
>
>I get:
>
>-bash: /etc/init.d/mailman: No such file or directory
>[root at vk3kqu ~]# /etc/init.d/mailmanctl start
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/etc/init.d/mailmanctl", line 105, in ?
>    import paths
>ImportError: No module named paths
>
>Does anyone know where this module has gone or what package it might be
>contained in?

This is a RedHat packaging question. In our distributed Mailman,
mailmanctl is in Mailman's bin/ directory and so is paths.py. paths.py
is also in Mailman's cron/ and scripts/ directories so that the cron/*
and scripts/* scripts can import it.

In the RedHat installations that I have seen, there is a
/etc/init.d/mailman which runs mailmanctl from Mailman's bin/
directory so it works, and there is no /etc/init.d/mailmanctl. I have
no idea what's going on in your case.

I suggest you start mailman by running the mailmanctl in Mailman's bin/
directory which is probably /usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl.