[Mailman-Users] Some members not receiving all posts

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 21 00:38:52 CET 2007

Robert Boyd Skipper wrote:

>I've looked through the FAQ and the archives, but can't locate an answer to this.  A few
>members subscribed to my list say they are not receiving every post.  They know this by
>scrolling down the posts that are replies, and seeing chunks in the history that they
>never saw.  They can go to the online archive and find the missing posts.  Other users
>seem not to have this problem.  More than one user has reported this problem.
>
>Because it is sporadic and unpredictable, I don't know where to start troubleshooting.
>
>Also, I did not install mailman myself.  My provider has made it available.  He is using
>mailman 2.1.9.cp2.

Here's what I suggest. First be sure that bounce_processing and
bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner are both set to Yes. Then you
will receive any unrecognized bounce notices that might come from
these members and recognized bounce notices will be logged in
Mailman's bounce log - you may need your providers assistance to see
that or to determine if bounces are being recorded for the affected
members.

You can also go to a members 'options' page by following the link (the
member's email) from the admin Membership list, and if the member has
a current bounce score, it will be noted near the top of the page.

Whether or not Mailman is actually seeing bounces for these members,
this is almost certainly not Mailman's problem. You might be able to
learn more from the outgoing MTA's logs, but I think the most likely
cause is some kind of filtering going on either in the recipient's
mail clients (MUAs) or their ISPs.