[Mailman-Users] Mail Man Help

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Sep 28 02:16:32 CEST 2006

Franky St. Pierre wrote:

>I am getting these errors when I
>try bin/check_perms -f (-bash: bin/check_perms: @PYTHON@: bad
>interpreter: No such file or directory)

This means one of two things. Either something went terribly wrong with
the configure, make install process or you are running bin/checkperms
in the download and unpack directory, not in the installed directory.
I.e. the check_perms you are running still has

#! @PYTHON@

as its first line instead of

#! path/to/python

as changed by configure.

>We are running Ubuntu 6.06
>and python 2.4 is that because the version of python is too new? At
>the end of the installation it says:
>File "bin/update", line 46, in ?
>    import paths
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/paths.py", line 56, in ?
>    import japanese
>ImportError: No module named japanese
>make: *** [update] Error 1
>
>what does this mean. Is there a way i can fix this?

This is because the japanese codecs were for some reason not installed
in $prefix/pythonlib. This can happen I think if your gunzip and untar
of the distribution is recursive and also gunzips the .tar.gz files in
the misc/ directory. There may be other reasons.