[Mailman-Users] Running large announce list & forums

Jack Stone antennex at swbell.net
Thu Sep 7 23:55:15 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:    At 8:11 PM -0700 2006-09-06, Jack Stone wrote:

> I'll have to check on the things you suggested, but just a quick
> response without more specifics, I've noticed it takes a long, long
> time for the announcement list to reach the sendmail queue -- and
> the "qfiles/out" is usually choked with queued messages for quite a
> while. It appears the discussion list has to wait in line..

In that case, it seems likely that your delay is in the Mailman queue
management process, and not within sendmail. In that case, I
recently did a slight cleanup on some good stuff that Nigel
Metheringham put into the FAQ Wizard for FAQ 6.6, and I'd recommend
you take a look at it.

<JLS> Brad, good suggestion on FAQ 6.6
  This change below seems to have made a great improvement in performance/speed. The smaller batches starting hitting the sendmail queue almost instantly and the forum activities haven't suffered.

  Make sure your batch size is small:
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10
Set your qrunner proc to live longer, and extend the lock life:
QRUNNER_LOCK_LIFETIME = hours(10)
QRUNNER_PROCESS_LIFETIME = minutes(15)
QRUNNER_MAX_MESSAGES = 300
Set these to 20 hours, 2 hours and 50000

  Thanks for the tip!

(^-^)
Best regards,
Jack L. Stone