[Mailman-Users] Obscure addresses problem

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 5 17:42:34 CEST 2006

At 5:56 AM -0700 2006-09-05, Jack Stone wrote:

>  The knob in the web site configs about changing from YES to NO had
>  me distracted thinking it was the place to change my setting for
>  this preference.

Yeah, I'm confused too.  I'm hoping that one of the core Mailman
developers will respond to this thread and tell me what it is that
I've missed.

>  So, I just need to disable access to the Mailman version of the archive
>  which I consider vulnerable to harvesting in its present form. Plus, I
>  don't need it with my own archives available and they are safe.

See FAQ 3.3, and scroll down to the bottom.

>  BTW: One other thing & not meaning to be nit picky, but are you aware
>  that FBSD ports show this program as containing numerous vulnerabilities?

I was not personally aware of this issue, but apparently the Mailman
developers are.

>  Reference:
><http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/fffa9257-3c17-11db-86ab-00123ffe8333.html>

This page links to some others, including
<http://secunia.com/advisories/21732/>, which includes the text:

	Solution:
	The vulnerabilities have been fixed in version 2.1.9rc1 and will
	also be fixed in the upcoming 2.1.9 version soon.

Note that the Mailman developers have already upgraded us to 2.1.9rc1
for all our lists hosted on python.org, including this one.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.