[Mailman-Users] How to create a list with an approved list ofposters? (not answered by FAQ?)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 1 23:05:56 CEST 2006

Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:

>The people who are in the sub-lists don't have moderation bits, though. If I
>make them unmodearted members of the umbrella list, and they are also
>members of the sub-lists, will they get everything twice?

Yes, unless you set their delivery on the umbrella list to disabled.

So if I understand, you have an umbrella list and some sub-lists. Your
authorized posters are unmoderated on the sub-lists so they can post
to the sub-list directly without their posts being held.

To enable them to post to the umbrella list, you have several options.

1) make the posters unmoderated members of the umbrella list with
delivery disabled. This will work, but there will be administrivia
issues. E.g., if jdoe at example.com is a member of the umbrella, things
like the password reminder for jdoe will be sent to
jdoe-owner at example.com which of course will bounce. You can turn off
password reminders too and that may cover it.

2) make the umbrella list 'open'. I.e., set Privacy options...->Sender
filters->generic_nonmember_action to accept. Then poster (who must be
unmoderated on all the sub-lists) can post and the post is accepted by
the umbrella and all the sub-lists. A non-member or non-poster post
will be accepted by the umbrella, but held by the sub-lists.

3) add the posters to accept_these_nonmembers of the umbrella list.

4) make a 'posters' list which is not a member of the umbrella, but
which has as members all the authorized posters. Apply the patch at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103>
and add '@posters' to the umbrella's accept_these_nonmembers.

There are probably other ways I haven't thought of (and gotcha's I
haven't thought of too).