[Mailman-Users] mailman and email harvesters

Matthew Clarkson matt at mail.netera.ca
Fri Mar 31 20:01:36 CEST 2006

We have switched half (about 15 so far) of our mailing lists from our
majordomo server (with a hypermail based archiving system)  to our new
mailman server.  I have just been notified by my boss that since the
start of the switchover (3 weeks ago) he and a few other people have had
a dramatic increase in spam based activity on their email accounts.  I
checked to make sure my robots.txt on the webserver root was fine with
the following entries

Disallow: /pipermail/

Also, I verified that all my lists private_roster settings were set to
List members.

Can anyone else think of, if it is mailman that is the culprit here, any
settings or ways that email harvesters could grab email addresses from a
mailman server?

--
Matthew Clarkson